Re: Moving database to another server

From: Dick Allie <dallie_at_ionet.net>
Date: 1997/04/15

Carlos A. Gonzalez wrote:

> Oracle Gurus:
>
> I need your help
>
> I must move a database to another server.
>
> How do I go about it. How do I keep my control files straight ??
>
> Also is it to my advantage to use raw devices instead of file systems(Unix)
> ??
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Carlos

Another method we use is to backup our production database to tape on the production machine, then restore the entire database on the test machine. Your file systems and raw device setup should be the same on the test machine as the production machine.

After the database is restored we rename all data files on the test machine to reflect the database name we use on the test machine.

We then use a trace file from the production machine that was created just prior to the backup with the sqldba or sqlplus command

   'alter database backup controlfile to trace;' to recreate the control files on the test machine to use the names we changed the file names to.

We then can startup the new database on the test machine and it will not conflict with the database on the production machine.

If you need more detail email me at dallie_at_ionet.net.

Hope this helps. Received on Tue Apr 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT