Re: Moving database to another server

From: Emrynsoft <emrynsoft_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/15

I must move a database to another server.

Hi Carlos,

One way we have done this is do a full DB export and import into the new server. Do keep in mind though that when importing the tables back, the tables will be created with an initial extent with the complete table data from the export. You might actually want to recreate the database objects using your original DDL from your old server and then do the import with the setting of Ignore Warnings : Yes.

Also is it to my advantage to use raw devices instead of file systems(Unix)
??

Depends... raw devices are faster for heavy read/write oriented objects. Unless you have a sure knowledge of how to back up raw devices, it might not be a good idea to use it.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need any further details...

---
Abhijit