DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_CNT (Problem restated)

From: jim nash <jimnash_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

My apologies for a poorly written original post. Thanks to those who replied, but allow me restate the problem.

The most critical aspect of this database is I/O to a single, large (3GB) table. Most queries to this table are SELECT statments involving perhaps 25% of the rows. The goal is to increase throughput to this table. For the time being, OPS and PQO are not options, but disk striping is.

The table will be striped at the file system level (Veritas), assume among three disks. Assume a stripe width of 64K. This implies that a 192K
byte read request from Oracle will be transferred by the file system into 3 separate 64K byte read requests directed to each of the disks in the logical volume.

Existing parameters of note are as follows:

The question is how DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_CNT should be changed, if at all, to make best use of striping.

The reason I question the use of the "standard" configuration of these values ((DB_BLOCK_SIZE * DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_CNT) = MAX I/O size for O/S) is that the file system understands that the logical volume on which the
table (tablespace file) resides is indeed not a single disk, but three disks.
Is it reasonable, therefore, to ask Oracle to read three times "Max I/O size
for the O/S", so as to keep those babies humming?

The question may also relate to Oracle readahead processing. As the DBMS understands that a large, contiguous part of the table needs to be scanned, it could
simultaneously post multiple nowait reads to the table, hoping to "move the queue" to the disk. If so, it would argue for leaving DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ as it is, letting Oracle "tune the disks" itself.