Re: www.microsoft.com cant handle the load ?

From: Bryan Warfield <Bryan.Warfield_at_DAL.frb.org>
Date: 1997/04/09

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> Tried to connect to www.microsoft.com out of curiosity
> and got the following message :
>
> HTTP/1.0 Server Too Busy
>
> I am surprised to say the least ! What, the largest
> software company in the world cant handle a few web
> requests ? Specially when they claim to make the best
> webserver ?
>
> Surely they cant be getting more hits than Yahoo or
> Alta-Vista ? Am I missing anything ?
>
> MS : Where do you want to go today ?
> Me : Can I look at your homepage please ?
> MS : Sorry, no can do.
> Me : Why are you asking people where *they* want to
> go when you cant seem to be getting anywhere yourself ?
>
> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

I got the same message. I was going to their web site for more info on this item regarding Windows-NC (not Net-PC) announcement yesterday I read in Informationweek Daily:

Good Morning! Today is April 9. And this is.... ---------INFORMATIONWEEK DAILY------------
The E-Mail News Service For IT Decision Makers from the editors of InformationWeek magazine
* Now reaching 75,000 subscribers and growing * <<<<<http://www.informationweek.com>>>>>

--Can You Say "Capitulate"? Gates Announces Plans For Windows-based NC
_____Microsoft Touts Windows-based Thin Client_____ After more than a year of ridiculing network computers, Microsoft is preparing to enter that market with what chairman and CEO Bill Gates calls "Windows terminals."
Gates' comments came during his keynote speech at this year's Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in San Francisco.

Gates defined such Windows Terminals as "task-based, single function" devices. During his speech yesterday, Gates displayed a chart that listed Windows NT Workstation as an operating system for such devices -- indicating that a "thin" version of NT Workstation might be downloaded from an NT Server when the terminal boots. However, the chart also listed CE as the operating system for "mobile, task-based, single function" devices.

"We'll do true remoting of desktop clients so you don't have anything down on the client that can get out of date," says Gates. "We call that the Windows Terminal and it's the only true thin client." Received on Wed Apr 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT