Re: www.microsoft.com cant handle the load ?

From: Colin Smith <colin_at_mellifluous.europe.dg.com>
Date: 1997/04/10

In article <334BF8F6.6E27_at_dal.frb.org>,

        Bryan Warfield <Bryan.Warfield_at_DAL.frb.org> writes:
> Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> I got the same message. I was going to their web site for more info on
> this item regarding Windows-NC (not Net-PC) announcement yesterday I
> read in Informationweek Daily:

Well that f**ks up the poor sods trying to sell that marketing bullshit about the NetPCs - Isn't that Siemens, Compaq and Intel?

> Good Morning! Today is April 9. And this is.... ---------INFORMATIONWEEK
> DAILY------------
> The E-Mail News Service For IT Decision Makers from the editors of
> InformationWeek magazine
> * Now reaching 75,000 subscribers and growing *
> <<<<<http://www.informationweek.com>>>>>
>
> --Can You Say "Capitulate"? Gates Announces Plans For
> Windows-based NC
> _____Microsoft Touts Windows-based Thin Client_____ After more than a
> year of ridiculing network computers, Microsoft is preparing to enter
> that market with what chairman and CEO Bill Gates calls "Windows
> terminals."
> Gates' comments came during his keynote speech at this year's Windows
> Hardware Engineering Conference in San Francisco.

Well.. that f**ks up Citrix good and proper. How does it feel to work for a dead company people? Anybody out there running Citrix just now?

> Gates defined such Windows Terminals as "task-based, single function"
> devices. During his speech yesterday, Gates displayed a chart that
> listed Windows NT Workstation as an operating system for such devices --
> indicating that a "thin" version of NT Workstation might be downloaded
> from an NT Server when the terminal boots. However, the chart also

Oh yes... A thin client that needs to download NT to work - excellent. Just watch your network scream im pain.

> listed CE as the operating system for "mobile, task-based, single
> function" devices.
>
> "We'll do true remoting of desktop clients so you don't have anything
> down on the client that can get out of date," says Gates. "We call that
> the Windows Terminal and it's the only true thin client."

Hmmm... X terminals? Was that 10 years ago?

--
Archeus Free FRPG - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3002/
Colin Smith (colin_at_mellifluous.europe.dg.com)