Re: Oracle on Unix or NT?

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.NOSPAM.au>
Date: 1997/03/24

tyum_at_Hawaii.Edu (Tae Ho Yum) wrote:

]Hello all,
]
]I am considering two different platforms for an Oracle back end.
]
] 1. Multiprocessor Pentium Pro running NT.
] 2. Sun SuperSparc running Solaris 2.5.
]
]The points I am considering are reliability, cost, and speed in that order.
]The server will have heavy use so speed is important, but not as much as
]reliability because any downtime will be very expensive.

We are running Oracle 7.3.2 on NT 3.51. It's slower than our 7.2.3 on Solaris 2.4. Both are very reliable ( > 60 days uptime, and that was a planned power outage). Cost is up to you.

I have advised not running Solaris 2.5 here because there have been so many problems reported with it. Prefer 2.5.1.

Regards,
George.

--
Unfortunately, offensive E-Mail spam has forced me
to modify my E-Mail address. Remove the word NOSPAM