Re: Oracle on Unix or NT?

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/03/25

George Dau wrote:

> tyum_at_Hawaii.Edu (Tae Ho Yum) wrote:
>
> ]Hello all,
> ]
> ]I am considering two different platforms for an Oracle back end.
> ]
> ] 1. Multiprocessor Pentium Pro running NT.
> ] 2. Sun SuperSparc running Solaris 2.5.
> ]
> ]The points I am considering are reliability, cost, and speed in that order.
> ]The server will have heavy use so speed is important, but not as much as
> ]reliability because any downtime will be very expensive.
>
> We are running Oracle 7.3.2 on NT 3.51. It's slower than our 7.2.3 on Solaris
> 2.4. Both are very reliable ( > 60 days uptime, and that was a planned power
> outage). Cost is up to you.
>
> I have advised not running Solaris 2.5 here because there have been so many
> problems reported with it. Prefer 2.5.1.
>
> Regards,
> George.

        What? Its just the opposite, 2.5 with some patches is very stable while 2.5.1 which has support for the Ultra's in it needs to be patched heavily. You consider > 60 days uptime reliable? If we have two outages a year caused by software problems (OS, database server), that's alot in my opinion.... Received on Tue Mar 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST