Re: What level of RAID for Oracle WorkGroup Server 7.3?

From: Juergen Schiewe <schiewe_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/03/24

In message <3157cd$b1f19.346_at_news.wv.doe.gov> - forsheec_at_wv.doe.gov (Carl Forshee)Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:38:31 GMT writes:

:>Option 1 is RAID 5 for the data, index, and RBS tablespaces with
:>separate disks (separate channel/controller)(non-mirrored) for
:>everything else (i.e. OS, Oracle executibles, redo log files, control
:>files, etc. We would include 7 drives under one RAID 5 array for this
:>option and 7 drives (non-mirrored) for everything else.
:>
:>Option 2 would be to simply mirror all of our disks and distribute the
:>Oracle tablespaces and files across them. We would be able to mirror
:>up to 7 pair of disk under this option

You should not use raid 5 unless you have severe non stop requirements. Monitoring disk utilization under raid 5 is difficult and it is even more difficult to balance disk load.

Mirroring is less helpful than it may seem. If a datafile is corrupted by a database error or accidently deleted by a dba it is also corrupted or deleted
on the mirror disk.
disk 1 & 2 Windows NT and Oracle software (mirrored) disk 3 redo log group 1
disk 4 redo log group 2
disk 5 archived redo log files
remaining disks for datafiles with indexes and data separated. Keep some disks for the backups. You can bring a tablespace into backup mode, copy it to a spare disk and bring it online again. Then you can take a backup from the spare disk.

brgds Received on Mon Mar 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST