Re: What level of RAID for Oracle WorkGroup Server 7.3?

From: Robert Altena <Robert_at_Altena.com>
Date: 1997/03/23

(you can contact me by E-mail: altena_at_gol.com, do not use the addres  in the header)

hi Carl,

I am running an Oracle-7 database on a "hardware RAID technology" enabled server. Although your database will be significantly larger than ours, here's my reasoning:

The database and OS should be on RAID-5 disks. That's the whole meaning of raid-5: One disk fails... you keep your job ;-) This has the added advantage that the data is striped over the different drives for you.

You will need to back up your data anyway to prevent statements as

  Delete from Very_Important_Data;

These backups can be done very quickly using disks that need not be Raid-5 protected.

IMHO the above is a "good" solution. The best solution will hopefully be posted by someone else...