What level of RAID for Oracle WorkGroup Server 7.3?

From: Carl Forshee <forsheec_at_wv.doe.gov>
Date: 1997/03/21

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Pentium Pro dual processor server (256MB DIMM) with hardware RAID technology running Windows NT Server 4.0. We plan on installing Oracle WorkGroup Server 7.3. We have no prior experience with Oracle at our site.

We have been getting conflicting information as to how our disks should be configured to optimize Oracle.

Option 1 is RAID 5 for the data, index, and RBS tablespaces with separate disks (separate channel/controller)(non-mirrored) for everything else (i.e. OS, Oracle executibles, redo log files, control files, etc. We would include 7 drives under one RAID 5 array for this option and 7 drives (non-mirrored) for everything else.

Option 2 would be to simply mirror all of our disks and distribute the Oracle tablespaces and files across them. We would be able to mirror up to 7 pair of disk under this option

We are a small installation, but do not want to limit ourselves or do something that may cause a bottleneck. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Carl Forshee (forsheec_at_wv.doe.gov) Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST