Question on MAXDATAFILES (limit of 30?)

From: Simon Goland <sg_at_mda.ca>
Date: 1997/03/06

Solaris 2.5.1 and Oracle 7.3 environment.

When I tried to add another datafile, I got an error message saying I cannot have more than 30 datafiles. Yet db_files in my init.ora is set to 1000, and MAXDATAFILES in the SQL create script is 50. What am I missing and how can I increase this limit of 30?

Alternatively, if I cannot, and still need another datafile, any ideas or tips to make it easier on me? In theory, I will have to copy a datafile to a volume with more space and RESIZE it. But can I also delete an existing datafile completely?

I would appreciate if you can also email the reply in addition to posting. Thanks,

--

[ Simon Goland B-)> sg_at_mda.ca ]
[ Without action there is no change ]