Re: Security Products

From: Stephen Turner <sturner_at_athena.mit.edu>
Date: 1997/02/20

Don't know of any 3rd-party products, but we have the same situation and it might be useful to share what we found out about this.

2 questions about your case - is anyone connecting via SQL*NET and what is your OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX set to?

If no-one is or will be using SQL*NET to connect, you can safely use OS authentication and have the scripts use "/" to connect. Obviously you are then relying on the OS for security, but I'll assume that's OK.

If you are going to use SQL*NET, AND your OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is set to OPS$, you can identify your Oracle users by password and still use OS authentication. This means that a SQL*Net user would be forced to enter their Oracle password on connection but any user logged on to the UNix machine or any job running could connect using just a "/".

Howerver, the OPS$ prefix is apparently available only for 'backward compatibility' with older Oracle versions so it may be risky to use this approach.

Lastly, if you will be using SQL*Net and your OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is set to something other than OPS$ (NULL for example) then there's no way around having to have everyone use passwords and maintain security with SQL*Net.

So, our solution was to do what you suggested, and store passwords in a secure file which we decided gave acceptable security - there's never a perfect solution, just levels of security...

Steve Turner Received on Thu Feb 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST