Security Products

From: Rosemary Fleming <rosemary_at_pathcom.com>
Date: 1997/02/19

Currently our unix scripts have the Oracle userid and password hard-coded in calls to SQLPLUS - for example "sqlplus system/manager". No kidding- the people who originally wrote the scripts did not even change the password for SYSTEM. As the DBA, I want the developers to change their scripts to use parameters for the userid and password and store the passwords in a password file which could only be read by root. This way, I could change the passwords whenever I wanted to without having to change every single script.

Our Unix administrator feels that this is not secure enough - that it would be easy to hack in. He would like a more complete solution. He would like to know if there are any 3rd party products which would handle this plus other other Oracle issues. Can anyone tell me if they currently use such tools and what their experiences have been.

We are running Oracle 7.2.2 on HP-UX V9 (soon to be Oracle 7.3 on HP-UX V10).

                                                         Rosemary Fleming