Re: maxdatafiles

From: Richard Bentley <R.bentley_at_wpo.nerc.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/02/12

JJ Reynolds wrote:

> OK.. the documentation sais that to increase macdatafiles, you need to
> recreate the database. How do you go about recreating the database?
> Our DB was installed by a vendor we (for the most part) no longer
> use and as the DBA I need to learn it anyway....
>
> I know a little about the exp and imp utilities--is this how it should
> be done? What are the pitfalls? What things should I look out for?
>
> TIA,
>
> jjr_at_healthfare.com

You dont actually have to recreate the database. You need to dump the control files to trace, shut the database down, delete all your control files!!, edit the trace file, do a start up mount and then use the trace sql file output to recreate the control files. Then after altering the init.ora to set a bigger limit on max datafiles, you can start up your database again.

Richard Bentley
natural environment research council
Oxfordshire, Englan. Received on Wed Feb 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST