Re: maxdatafiles

From: Komix Hui <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1997/02/11

JJ Reynolds wrote:

> OK.. the documentation sais that to increase macdatafiles, you need to
> recreate the database. How do you go about recreating the database?
> Our DB was installed by a vendor we (for the most part) no longer
> use and as the DBA I need to learn it anyway....
>
> I know a little about the exp and imp utilities--is this how it should
> be done? What are the pitfalls? What things should I look out for?
>
> TIA,
>
> jjr_at_healthfare.com

  1. Before you go to re-create your new database, following things should be done:

  1.1. collect all parameters your existing database is using.   1.2. Collect all existing tablespace names and their storage parameters.
  1.3. Collect all existing rollbacks and their storage parameters.

2. Modify the existing 'create database' script if it exists   (such as in '$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/crdb???.sql' and 'crdb2???.sql' to increase
  the 'MAXDATAFILES', or write a script by yourself.

3. Fully export the your existing database.

4. It is recommended that you make a backup to your existing database after it is

   normally shut down.

5. If you have enough disk space, you can create the new database with different

    control file names, datafile names, on log file names, and same tablespace names.

6. run scripts 'catproc.sql', 'catlog.sql' when you connect internally.

7. import data into new database.

8. Change necessary environment setting.

--
Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao)         E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk
Assistant MIS Manager                Tel   : (00852)2589 3369