Re: maxdatafiles

From: Jim Blazek <jblazek_at_usa.net>
Date: 1997/02/13

JJ Reynolds wrote:

> OK.. the documentation sais that to increase macdatafiles, you need to
> recreate the database. How do you go about recreating the database?
> Our DB was installed by a vendor we (for the most part) no longer
> use and as the DBA I need to learn it anyway....
>
> I know a little about the exp and imp utilities--is this how it should
> be done? What are the pitfalls? What things should I look out for?
>
> TIA,
>
> jjr_at_healthfare.com

What you want to do is to increase the MAXDATAFILE parameter, it is set when you create the database. To change this value after the database is created follow the procedure:

1. Alter the init<instance>.ora file and increase the DB_FILE parameter
2. Run SQLDBA and connect internal
3. Run this command "ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;"
4. Edit the trace file, <instance>_ora_####.trc (usally in the RDBMS/LOG
directory)
	a. Remove all the lines down to the 'START NOMOUNT' line
	b. Change the value for MAXDATAFILES
	c. DO NOT edit the data file locations or sizes
5. Shut down the instance
6. Move all the control file to a different location
7. Run SQLDBA and connect internal

8. Run the edited trace file.
9. After you are sure every thing is running correctly, you can remove the control files the were moved.
The above process should minimize the down time of your instance.
--
Jim Blazek

Telephone Express
jblazek_at_usa.net