Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX? - answer

From: Henry O'Keeffe <Henry.Okeeffe_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/01/30

Hmpf!

Anyway , to answer your question.

If you use *on the fly* compression (using named pipes and the unix compress/uncompress commands) you can get an export file compressed to about 25% of the original. In your case 2gb. The way of doing this is known and supported by Oracle. Contact Oracle support and get them to email/fax you the supported way of doing this.

If your final compressed export file >2gb, something you might like to try also, is exporting to a raw partition. Export will ask you what size is the device, so just answer unlimited. Make sure that it's >2gb (the raw partition). I haven't tried this, and it's possible that unix would still complain, but raw partitions sidestep the file system bits of the operating system to a great extent.

Also, you could consider doing a sql*net export from a machine which supports >2gb files (Solaris?).

Hope this helps. For what it's worth, I don't agree with the comments that exports have no place in big database land. Quite the opposite.

Henry. Received on Thu Jan 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST