Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/01/27

Tim Nimmo wrote:

> So tell me, John. How will you restore that 5 million row table that I
> "accidently" dropped a few minutes ago becuase the developer gave me bad
> instructions? Archivelog doesn't help much unless everything in the
> database can be rolled back to now-10 minutes. Not many active production
> databases allow that. <g>
>
> Tim Nimmo...

So tell me, Tim. How will you explain to your users that the database is now inconsistent? Or will you import all the additional tables that have referential integrity requirements (declared or not!) and all the secondary referential integrity requirements, ....

And, Tim, was your export of all these tables done as a consistent set? Normal exports make each table internally consistent but without consistency between tables.

Tim, you're right that the users don't want me to roll the database back to a prior point in time. First, it takes hours to do. Second, they can't possibly repeat the work they lost. And, Tim, they don't care if I roll it back by import or by recovery -- both hurt.

So, what I am really saying is that we must do more in prevention. Recognizing the shortcomings in backup/recover and export/import is the first step.

--
John P. Higgins      Voice:    (309)765-4481
Deere & Company      Fax:      (309)765-5168