Re: Connect ORACLE to WWW through CGI-Perl-Script

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/02

ecopies to ingo.ruth_at_stud.uni-erlangen.de, thope_at_igc.org

In article comp.databases.oracle.server:<32B73041.167EB0E7_at_igc.org>,

 Ingo Ruth <ingo.ruth_at_stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

>> >Hallo!
>> >I'm trying to connect an ORACLE-DB to the WWW throught CGI.
>> >Because I want to learn more about it, I took Perl to write a
>> >script - but I don't also want to use oraperl.
>> >The database is running on a Solaris2.4 platform, and there is an
>> >ORACLE-Web-Server 1.0 for the WWW-requests.

>> I've been doing some of this lately. Put your SQL in a file
>> and run by:
>>
>> system("sqlplus user/passw @sql_name.sql 2>&1 >/dev/null");
>

>I suggest you check out OraPerl at
>
> http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/perl/db/perl4/oraperl

this is obsolete :-)
hermitica.com is the place for perl5 Oraperl.pm but go through the CPAN archives and
try looking for

Oraperl Rmpf Oraperl emulation interface for DBD::Oracle DBIML !

which is an interface to the DBD::Oracle.pm perl5 package.

perl4 is NOT recommended.

Also, look at the perl5 CGI modules including the CGI::MiniServer and Apache:: modules if you need to do commit/rollback over multiple CGI transactions.

>-T.H.

I have worked with the Oracle web server (owa) and it is still as buggy as hell..., but is probably the way to go if you are talking intranet applications.

p.s. I understand (but may be wrong) that Oracle WS2 licence does not permit use of webserver2 connected to the internet.

p.p.s
if you do use perl remeber to set you enviroment up.

i.e.

$ENV{"ORACLE_HOME"} = "/home/oracle/home";
$ENV{"ORACLE_SID"} = "xxxxx";
$ENV{"TWO_TASK"} = "sssss.yyyy.co.uk";

and remeber to add $ORACLE_HOME/bin to your path if you intend to run any oracle binaries from system `` or open("sqlplus |")...

If you are using Apache, you can configure ORACLE_HOME etc into the env using SetEnv and PassEnv - this does not work with the mod_perlfast though...

All the best,

        Jacqui Caren

--
Jacqui Caren, Software Systems, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
Commercial perl resources - support,training,products etc