oracle vs. sybase

From: Paul Drobny <psdrobny_at_dcn.davis.ca.us>
Date: 1996/12/13

Hello;

I'm an Oracle DBA on a project that is just getting going. We are having some dissent here about the two products .. Oracle and Sybase. None of us really have any experience with Sybase, developping OR dba'ing .. so its just so much hot air. I wanted to drop a line and see if any of you are experienced Oracle AND Sybase dba's. I figure that way I can get a realistic, if not impartial, answer to my questions ...

     How do database management and administration tasks compare in
      the two products?
     If you could choose, which would you rather use, considering you'd
      also like to provide the most stable rdbms for your mission critical
      application?

Please respond via email to psdrobny_at_dcn.davis.ca.us or post here as well if it seems the group will benefit from your answers.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

Paul S. Drobny
Assistant Manager - MIS Department
American Eagle Insurance Company 655 University Avenue Suite 100
Sacramento California 95825
916 566 1000 x 110