Re: Best way to learn Oracle?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/16

In article <32B21EDE.D22_at_panix.com>, Noah Green <njgreen_at_panix.com> writes
>Hi,
>I'm trying to learn Oracle on my own because I may need it for my job
>(Java client/server programmer). The shop is Solaris but at home I have
>Win 95. I had a few questions about what course of action to take,
>namely:
>1. Are there huge differences between administering and developing
>Oracle on Unix and Oracle on Windows (i.e. is it useless to get one of
>the PC Oracles if I am preparing for a Unix job?)

Administration is different, because so much of administration is operating system specific, but it is functionally identical. As a programmer there is nothing you can't do on Personal Oracle (providing you have the right tools). Personal Oracle cannot be used as a server, all access must be from the local machine, but as a learning tool or a development environment that should make no difference.

>2. On the PC, is Personal Oracle Lite adequate for learning? Or should
>I go for Personal Oracle? (Can't afford the workgroup version --- is it
>so different that there's no point in getting one of the Personals?)

Personal Oracle Lite is a completely different product and many features are missing. You don't need workgroup server. The only difference is that it allows remote access. I assume you don't need this foryour home machine.

>3. Should I get anything else instead of/as well as one of these
>products?

If you are only developing with JAva, then you don't need anything else, You could consider Oracle Power Objects, Developer/2000 and/or Designer/2000 which are all v expensive.

--
Jim Smith