Re: How many instances should I have

From: Stephen A. Rodgers <trodgers_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/11/23

This depends completely on you and your requirements. You may put as many applications into a single instance as you are comfortable with, and that can be effectively supported by a single instance. Much depends on the size of the data for these applications and security needs.

For example, I would probably create a TEST instance and a PRODUCTION instance so that I could isolate my production applications from anything that was being tested. I would probably do the same thing with something critical like a human resources and payroll application. Another reason to consider separate instances is the ability to shut one down without affecting the others, and then there are some backup and recovery issues that can be considered.

All in all, splitting applications into various instances really depends on your own needs and application requirements. Generally speaking, you don't want a lot of instances to have to keep up and do maintenance on, but you probably will end up with at least two or three. You don't NEED a separate instance for each application however.

Best Regards,

--
Stephen A. (Tony) Rodgers
Prominence Consulting, Inc.

Kelly Vogel <vogelkj_at_pcisys.net> wrote in article
<3283D4CB.5397_at_pcisys.net>...