Re: How many instances should I have

From: M.Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/11/11

In article <3283D4CB.5397_at_pcisys.net>, vogelkj_at_pcisys.net says...
>I am running 7.3.2.2 on a sparc10. I have one instance with about 10
>applications in it. They are all un-related, different users, no data
>is shared.
>
>Should I have a seperate instance for each application or is that stupid
>?

As with many things, it depends... The administrative overhead of having lots of seperate instances can be a pain, but there may be performance reasons why you'd want to have your applications seperated. As they are all running on one machine, you are probably better off with a single (production) instance for all your apps so you only have to overhead of one set of server processes etc.

You may wish to consider having at least one other instance for development/testing work though.

We use five spread over three machines;

machine1.

one for testing Oracle upgrades, new O/S versions, new hot bcakup scripts etc. (the 'test test system'). Shut down most of the time. one for installing clean versions of third party software etc. (the 'test' system). Shut down most of the time.
one for development of our own systems & modification of third party stuff (the 'development' system)

machine2.

one for end users to try out new versions of apps etc., carry out training etc (the training systems are archived & reloaded after each session to clean up the data) (the 'demo' system)

one for the real applications to run on (the live or production system).

machine3.

query server for snapshot data - this one holds denormalised data used for reporting and is populated from machine2. This one can be tuned up for optimal query performance. The other system on machine2 is tuned up for OLTP.

>How do you decide to make another instance ?
>
>How many is too many ?

See above.

Cheers.
Martin. Received on Mon Nov 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CST