Re: Read-only tablespace advantages

From: Larry Monack <lmonack_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1996/11/16

I've got a small data warehouse in which I've separated the static history data into a separate set of read-only tablespaces. I don't have any benchmarking stats for you but I can offer a little cliche' philosophy, "Every little bit helps.".

In the book, "Oracle Data Warehousing" the authors write, "When a tablespace is in read-only mode, the resources required to manage concurrent access to its data are minimal. The resources required to manage a read-only tablespace are less than those resources to manage a read-write tablespace, but the degree of difference is difficult to measure."

I think the performance gain is realized because the RDBMS doesn't have to worry about managing concurrent access to read-only tablespaces. Therefore, the amount of performance gain is in direct coorelation to the amount of concurrent access.

Hey, just do it...it can't hurt.