Re: Linking IP address to Oracle process

From: Andy Finkenstadt <genie_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/11/04

>> We have had a similar problem - using SQL*Net to connect to Oracle, how can
>> we tell which session belongs to which user (given that our app is
>> designed to connect to Oracle with a common Oracle userid).

Using "lsof -i" check for all processes that have connections to the local orasrv port. The remote host name will be the machine connected to your local oracle database.

Next cross-check the local process number with the process number recorded in the v$session & v$process views.

If the remote box is unix-based, then you can take the remote port number attached to the local orasrv port and find out the name of the program connecting to your box (such as our web CGI programs) using "lsof -i|grep orasrv|grep {portnumber}".

This is much easier to automate with tcl/expect, and not at all difficult.

Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, The Printing House Ltd, Also a GEnie Sysop

"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect 'Hungry' ..."                -- Gary Larson, "The Far Side"