Re: Dataguard

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:22:09 +0200

On 03.10.2009 11:40, tanveer wrote:
> On Sep 30, 9:40 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:

>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:39:50 -0700 (PDT), tanveer <tano..._at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I need to know that can we schedule archived log to be deleted
>>> automatically for instance i want to delete one month archived log
>> >from primary and standby database with out RMAN.
>>
>>> Thanks in advanced for your participation
>>> Regards
>> Deleting backups and other RMAN objects screws the catalog and can
>> possible end up in disaster in the time of peril.
>> You should either only use RMAN to delete backups, or not use RMAN at
>> all. You can't have it both ways!
> Thanks for your reply. I am not using RMAN at all. Can I delete
> Archived log using Windows Explorer if yes, database should be down or
> up. Please guide me how i can schedule to delete archived log.

So apparently your Oracle runs on Windows. Do you back up your database at all? If not and this is a test database only then you can as well switch off archive logging completely.

If you do backup your database via cold backups and want to use archived logs for recovery it's probably a good idea to set up an RMAN job for the cleanout of old archived logs in order to keep RMAN's idea of which archive logs are there consistent. However, I believe, doing recovery in this case will become tricky depending on how you do your backups. (With Oracle I have always only used RMAN so far.)

IMHO the easiest is to just use RMAN for backup management. With Grid Control / EM it is pretty easy to set up these things. Even if you don't use EM there is a ton of documentation out there and it's not too difficult to get this done.

My 0.01 EUR

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/