Re: 10g SQLPLUS connect problem

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:00:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 5, 12:34 pm, "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote:
> Shakespeare schreef:
>

> > So here's what I did: (sorry it's in Dutch)
>
> > SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wo Aug 5 21:02:38 2009
>
> > Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > Voer gebruikersnaam in: system/osait01
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12560: TNS: fout bij protocoladapter.
>
> > Voer gebruikersnaam in: system/osait01_at_xe
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12154: TNS:kan opgegeven verbindings-ID niet herleiden
>
> > Voer gebruikersnaam in:
> > C:\Documents and Settings\William>set
> > ORACLE_HOME=C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product
> > \10.2.0\server
>
> > C:\Documents and Settings\William>sqlplus
>
> > SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wo Aug 5 21:04:13 2009
>
> > Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> > Enter user-name: system/osait01
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> > Enter user-name: system/osait01_at_xe
>
> > Connected to:
> > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
>
> > SQL>
>
> > Shakespeare
>
> Wanneer je een connect-string meegeeft, in jouw geval XE, dan moet de oracle client die
> terugvinden in zijn tnsnames.ora, en bij jou vindt hij die niet.
>
> Geef je geen connect-string, dan probeert de client naar een locale gegevensbank te connecteren,
> die bijvoorbeeld met de variabele LOCAL kan gedefinieerd worden, of TWO_TASK, op unix systemen.
>   Op Wijndoos systemen zal daar wel een alternatief voor bestaan, in het register bijvoorbeeld.
>   Maar bij jou mislukt dat ook met een ora-12560.

Babelfish babbles that as:
"When you give connect-string, in your case XE, then the oracle client must who to retrieve in its tnsnames.ora does not find, and at you he that. Give you none connect-string, then the client tries to a local data bank at connecteren, which can be defined for example with the variable LOCAL, or TWO_TASK, on unix systems. On wine box of systems there, however, an alternative for will exist, in the register for example. But at you failed that also with ora-12560."

Shouldn't there be an oracle home selector under start-->programs?

Good to see that XE, one of whose objectives is to be easy for newbies, can tie experienced oracle people's brains in knots. Speaking only for myself, of course. I blame Bill Gates.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Balmer Is Not Gates.  That shows that Gates isn't the worst.