Re: installation error

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 19, 4:43 pm, happytoday <ehabaziz2..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > > Checking installer requirements...
>
> > > Checking operating system version: must be 5.10.    Actual 5.10
> > >                                       Passed
>
> > > Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB.   Actual 1982 MB
> > > Passed
> > > Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB.   Actual 2348 MB
> > > Passed
> > > Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors
> > >     >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using
> > > command /
> > > usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.
> > > Failed <<<<

snip

> > Can you run xclock or xeyes?
>
> > export the DISPLAY variable and then check XHOST ( aka XHOST + ) then
> > try running xclock ... if it won't run ... oracle GUI installer won't
> > run.

# Yes I can run xclock , ./usr/openwin/demo/xeyes .

Well you got me stumped then ... usually this is one of the acid tests ... if you are having problems with the GUI installer not bringing up the initial display ... usually if you get things fixed so you can run xclock you should be able to get farther along ( before possibly failing later ).

Are you running xserver client software on a different machine ( like your pc ... we use reflection x here but there are a number of different windows based solutions or some things like linux it is pretty much baked in ) and exporting the DISPLAY from a server session over to the client and catching it on the client? That's a pretty common way of doing installs. Received on Sun Apr 19 2009 - 17:56:57 CDT

Original text of this message