Re: installation error

From: Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:39:16 -0400

happytoday wrote:
> On Apr 19, 5:53 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
>> happytoday wrote:

>>> have downloaded all necessary packages needed for Oracle
>>> installation but with failure in installation as below :
>>> oracle _at_ inhome /opt/oracle/database>echo $DISPLAY
>>> 192.168.1.8:0.0
>>> oracle _at_ inhome /opt/oracle/database>./chk_pkg.sh
>>> system SUNWbtool CCS tools bundled with SunOS
>>> system SUNWgcc gcc - The GNU C compiler
>>> system SUNWhea SunOS Header Files
>>> system SUNWi15cs X11 ISO8859-15 Codeset Support
>>> system SUNWi1cs X11 ISO8859-1 Codeset Support
>>> system SUNWi1of ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) Optional Fonts
>>> system SUNWlibm Math & Microtasking Library Headers & Lint Files
>>> (Usr)
>>> system SUNWlibms Math & Microtasking Libraries (Usr)
>>> system SUNWtoo Programming Tools
>>> system SUNWuiu8 Iconv modules for UTF-8 Locale
>>> system SUNWxwdv X Windows System Window Drivers
>>> system SUNWxwfnt X Window System platform required fonts
>>> system SUNWxwplr X Window System platform software configuration
>>> system SUNWxwplt X Window System platform software
>>> ERROR: information for "SUNWwfrun" was not found
>>> ERROR: information for "SUNWsport" was not found
>>> oracle _at_ inhome /opt/oracle/database>. runInstaller
>>> Starting Oracle Universal Installer...
>>> Checking installer requirements...
>>> Checking operating system version: must be 5.10. Actual 5.10
>>> Passed
>>> Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB. Actual 1982 MB
>>> Passed
>>> Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB. Actual 2348 MB
>>> Passed
>>> Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors
>>> command /
>>> usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.
>>> Failed <<<<
>>> Some requirement checks failed. You must fulfill these requirements
>>> before
>>> continuing with the installation,at which time they will be rechecked.
>>> Continue? (y/n) [n] q
>>> Continue? (y/n) [n] n
>>> User Selected: No
>>> Exiting Oracle Universal Installer, log for this session can be found
>>> at /tmp/OraInstall2009-04-18_09-39-12PM/
>>> installActions2009-04-18_09-39-12PM.log
>> To be an effective DBA you must also be a pseudo-SysAdmin to be able to
>> troubleshoot simple stuff like this.  Read the install guide and other
>> resources on configuring X-Windows to function with your server/pc.
>
> How can I configure DISPLAY variable and X-windows ? Any tutorials ?

Did you *install* X-Windows? If you didn't do the full install of Solaris you may not even HAVE X-Windows! If you didn't install X-Windows, you now have the choice of reinstalling Solaris or finding and installing ALL of the packages required by X-windows. I don't know, off hand, which is the greater PITA! The "Advanced Installation Guide" has a listing of the packages that must be installed for X-Windows.

If you did NOT install X-Windows, you are about to find out why I recommend doing the FULL install of Solaris. X-Windows is about 25 packages PLUS any dependencies these packages may have.

ISTR that the configuration differs between the X86 and SPARC architectures. Whichever you have, you will need to know the capabilities of both your graphics card and your monitor. At the very minimum you need to know the graphics resolutions supported by BOTH your graphics card AND your monitor.

DISPLAY is an environment variable. How you set it depends on which shell you are using! What you set it to depends on what system is acting as your X-server. Note that in X terminology, the server is the system that drives the monitor you want your X display on. This can be the monitor in front of you or one installed on an X capable system on your network. To display on your local monitor DISPLAY will have the value 0:0, meaning local system display number 0. If your system has two graphics boards and two monitors the value could be 0:1 to display on the second monitor. Received on Sun Apr 19 2009 - 16:39:16 CDT

Original text of this message