Re: Will a regular web host suffice for Oracle

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:23:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 3:44 pm, tharpa <tha..._at_tharpa-PC.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:13:31 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:
> > On 24.03.2009 03:31, tharpa wrote:
> >> Will a regular web host suffice for an Oracle web app, or does one need a
> >> special Oracle-enabled web host?
>
> > What exactly do you mean by "web host"?  Do you mean a host system
> > (hardware and operating system)?  Do you mean a web hosting company?
> > And what does "suffice" mean?  Sufficient for installing Oracle on that
> > machine?  Or sufficient for running an application that uses an Oracle
> > database?
>
> > When it comes to supported operating systems you can look at
> >http://tahiti.oracle.com/- there you will find installation documentation.
>
> > Cheers
>
> >    robert
>
> Robert,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I meant a web hosting company.  For example,
> Network Solutions has a number of web hosting packages.http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/select-servi...
>
> They specifically mention My SQl and MS Access, not sure why.  Suppose I
> had a web page on a server hosted by a web hosting company, and that this
> web page accessed my Oracle database.  Would generic web space such as
> that described above be ok?
>
> The reason I ask is that I currently only have the 10 MB of space that
> comes with my Verizon FIOS.  I'm considering getting some more web space
> such as that hosted by Network Solutions.  I might not bother if I thought
> that it wouldn't work with an Oracle application.  I could host the web
> space on my own computer, but I've heard that that's not recommended, as
> it attracts attention from crackers.

There are places that host Oracle, including Oracle. Some ISP's will let you run a VM, you could run Oracle XE on that if your app is small enough. http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/cloud/index.html

Oracle does have the capabilities to be hardened against attack, google the various white papers like
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/database-security/pdf/twp_security_checklist_database.pdf Pete Finnegan has a course dedicated to it. From what I've seen publicly of some commercial services that ought to know better, there are some real idiots out there. I've personally been pissed off by network solutions, but that perhaps isn't a fair evaluation of them - or it may reflect their attitude generally. I personally don't think cloud computing is a good idea, but that's probably just paranoid me, being an old timeshare geek.

There are an amazing number of sites out there that don't have basic security and ops, such as coding to avoid sql injection attacks, and plain old proper backups. Security is expensive and painful, though not as painful and expensive as lack of security. Oracle has potentially the best security, Access is a joke, mysql still has lots of growing pains to go through. IMNSHO.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Face to face, and back to back, you'll see and feel, my flash attack.