Re: Will a regular web host suffice for Oracle

From: tharpa <tharpa_at_tharpa-PC.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:44:57 GMT

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:13:31 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:

> On 24.03.2009 03:31, tharpa wrote:

>> Will a regular web host suffice for an Oracle web app, or does one need a
>> special Oracle-enabled web host?

> What exactly do you mean by "web host"? Do you mean a host system
> (hardware and operating system)? Do you mean a web hosting company?
> And what does "suffice" mean? Sufficient for installing Oracle on that
> machine? Or sufficient for running an application that uses an Oracle
> database?
>
> When it comes to supported operating systems you can look at
> http://tahiti.oracle.com/ - there you will find installation documentation.
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

Robert,

Thanks for your response. I meant a web hosting company. For example, Network Solutions has a number of web hosting packages. http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/select-service.jsp

They specifically mention My SQl and MS Access, not sure why. Suppose I had a web page on a server hosted by a web hosting company, and that this web page accessed my Oracle database. Would generic web space such as that described above be ok?

The reason I ask is that I currently only have the 10 MB of space that comes with my Verizon FIOS. I'm considering getting some more web space such as that hosted by Network Solutions. I might not bother if I thought that it wouldn't work with an Oracle application. I could host the web space on my own computer, but I've heard that that's not recommended, as it attracts attention from crackers. Received on Tue Mar 24 2009 - 17:44:57 CDT

Original text of this message