Re: Will a regular web host suffice for Oracle

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 06:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 5:44 pm, tharpa <tha..._at_tharpa-PC.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:13:31 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:
> > On 24.03.2009 03:31, tharpa wrote:
> >> Will a regular web host suffice for an Oracle web app, or does one need a
> >> special Oracle-enabled web host?
>
> > What exactly do you mean by "web host"?  Do you mean a host system
> > (hardware and operating system)?  Do you mean a web hosting company?
> > And what does "suffice" mean?  Sufficient for installing Oracle on that
> > machine?  Or sufficient for running an application that uses an Oracle
> > database?
>
> > When it comes to supported operating systems you can look at
> >http://tahiti.oracle.com/- there you will find installation documentation.
>
> > Cheers
>
> >    robert
>
> Robert,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I meant a web hosting company.  For example,
> Network Solutions has a number of web hosting packages.http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/select-servi...
>
> They specifically mention My SQl and MS Access, not sure why.  Suppose I
> had a web page on a server hosted by a web hosting company, and that this
> web page accessed my Oracle database.  Would generic web space such as
> that described above be ok?
>
> The reason I ask is that I currently only have the 10 MB of space that
> comes with my Verizon FIOS.  I'm considering getting some more web space
> such as that hosted by Network Solutions.  I might not bother if I thought
> that it wouldn't work with an Oracle application.  I could host the web
> space on my own computer, but I've heard that that's not recommended, as
> it attracts attention from crackers.

<Self Promotion>
As I mentioned in an email to you, I have a small hosting company, Magic Interface. If you are serious about having an Oracle based host and decent space for your web site, contact us. </Self Promotion>

Security is a BIG concern. I would not recommend running your own server unless you already know how to deal with the security aspects (e.g. do you know what the SATAN program does?). Our systems get scanned by attackers almost constantly.

 jg is right that lots of sites are easily compromised. Those machines are then used to target other sites so even when you find where an attack comes from, that likely is only the first link in a long chain toward the real source. There is very little Law enforcement can do right now since the chain usually crosses international boundaries.

  Ed Received on Wed Mar 25 2009 - 08:21:50 CDT

Original text of this message