Re: Will a regular web host suffice for Oracle

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 6:44 pm, tharpa <tha..._at_tharpa-PC.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:13:31 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:
> > On 24.03.2009 03:31, tharpa wrote:
> >> Will a regular web host suffice for an Oracle web app, or does one need a
> >> special Oracle-enabled web host?
>
> > What exactly do you mean by "web host"?  Do you mean a host system
> > (hardware and operating system)?  Do you mean a web hosting company?
> > And what does "suffice" mean?  Sufficient for installing Oracle on that
> > machine?  Or sufficient for running an application that uses an Oracle
> > database?
>
> > When it comes to supported operating systems you can look at
> >http://tahiti.oracle.com/- there you will find installation documentation.
>
> > Cheers
>
> >    robert
>
> Robert,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I meant a web hosting company.  For example,
> Network Solutions has a number of web hosting packages.http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/select-servi...
>
> They specifically mention My SQl and MS Access, not sure why.  Suppose I
> had a web page on a server hosted by a web hosting company, and that this
> web page accessed my Oracle database.  Would generic web space such as
> that described above be ok?
>
> The reason I ask is that I currently only have the 10 MB of space that
> comes with my Verizon FIOS.  I'm considering getting some more web space
> such as that hosted by Network Solutions.  I might not bother if I thought
> that it wouldn't work with an Oracle application.  I could host the web
> space on my own computer, but I've heard that that's not recommended, as
> it attracts attention from crackers.  - Hide quoted text -

In order to access Oracle from the web hosting site the site would either have to run Oracle or your application would have to issue a call to a remote database hosted elsewhere but accessible via the internet. The firewall used by the hosting site would likely be an issue so I think you would have to find a site that provided or allowed you to run an Oracle instance in your space. If Verizon FIOS supports java you could try a java thin client connecton back to your PC where you could have Oracle Express but before spending time you might try asking Verizon customer support.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 25 2009 - 13:24:21 CDT

Original text of this message