Re: Weird listbox issue (Gupta(SqlWindows), Oracle)

From: joel garry <>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:20:24 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 4, 11:52 am, "MVk - Monika V. kycka" <> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 9:05 pm, joel garry <> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 10:08 am, "MVk - Monika V. kycka" <>
> > wrote:
> > Don't know a thing about Gupta, but I can guess that if you are using
> > substrb on NAME and have different results with data that was exported
> > and imported, you may have a characterset issue.  So you would need to
> > post:
> > The character set of the prod db.
> > The character set of the test db.
> > The NLS values of the database.
> > The NLS values of any other tier.
> > The NLS values of any session involved, including the export/import.
> > The exact (to all findable decimal places - what does sqlplus say when
> > you start it?) of all parts of this, including database, operating
> > system, and apps.  Could be a Gupta bug or missing synonym or
> > something like that, too.
> > I'm guessing you will find some difference there, could be as
> > fundamental as the db character sets.  exp/imp (oh yeah, there are
> > different tools with similar names, be sure and specify which you
> > used) will oh-so-helpfully translate character values for you, as can
> > NLS settings dynamically.  If you have middle tier startups for test
> > and prod, look for differences in the environment.
> > Aside from that, I doubt there would be init.ora differences to make
> > this kind of effect.
> > jg
> > --
> > is bogus.
> > "Cheech & Chong celebrity roast brought to you by Windows" - yeah, Up
> > In Smoke for sure.
> Eh... Pitty, but this issue was postponed with currently other more
> important tasks and by authorities saing "digging reasons, checking
> dbs? what for? view's will be just fine... do it and forget it". :(
> Still... It does not determine the REASON and I hope, I will return to
> this question some day later when there will be less work, because
> it's just too weird and too interesting just to leave it this way. :)
> Thanks joel garry for the advice. I'll try to look in this when I can.
> MVk - Monika V. kycka

You can believe it when I say "I hear you." :-)

I can guess there will never be less work, but I can also guess there will be a lot more work due to issues like this. If the client doesn't have a DBA available that understands these issues they are asking for trouble.

-- is bogus.
“Because there is no job guarantees for IT people, for the last six
months brides' families have not been accepting grooms from this
background.” - Jagadeesh Angadi, a matchmaker in Bangalore.