Re: Weird listbox issue (Gupta(SqlWindows), Oracle)

From: MVk - Monika V. kycka <m.vaitkute_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:55:32 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Gruo, 00:20, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 11:52 am, "MVk - Monika V. kycka" <m.vaitk..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> You can believe it when I say "I hear you."  :-)
>
> I can guess there will never be less work, but I can also guess there
> will be a lot more work due to issues like this.  If the client
> doesn't have a DBA available that understands these issues they are
> asking for trouble.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> “Because there is no job guarantees for IT people, for the last six
> months brides' families have not been accepting grooms from this
> background.” - Jagadeesh Angadi, a matchmaker in Bangalore.http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081204/news_1b4india.html

Ha! I know the reason, I was right from the beginning! :)

I noticed a bit different application session representation in PlSql Developer. Application selects where shown not with variables like :1, but like :"SYS_B_0". It looked a bit weird for me, so I tried seaching information about it. I found it was related to CURSOR_SHARING parameter. Indeed, it was different for the databases - test db had 'EXACT', production - 'FORCE'. I tried changing it on one of our local test dbs, but it didn't work out - application still was showing data correctly. So I started looking for other possible reasons, wrote here.

And today another weird activity occured for clients production db - not only filters not filling, but no one could connect to db with application at all. Then the clien says, 'Oh... you know, some long time ago there was something like that. We had to change one db parameter. We'll try changing it'. So they did change it and hurray - everything is working just fine! :) Indeed, it was the fault of CURSOR_SHARING. It had to be changed from 'FORCE' to 'EXACT'.

I'm releaved now that I'm definite about the reason and that actualy I was looking rigth at this from the beginning. Pitty, I did something wrong and missed it, but still... I'm so happy - problem solved! :)

MVk - Monika V. kycka Received on Fri Dec 05 2008 - 05:55:32 CST

Original text of this message