Re: Weird listbox issue (Gupta(SqlWindows), Oracle)

From: MVk - Monika V. kycka <m.vaitkute_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:52:55 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 9:05 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:08 am, "MVk - Monika V. kycka" <m.vaitk..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Don't know a thing about Gupta, but I can guess that if you are using
> substrb on NAME and have different results with data that was exported
> and imported, you may have a characterset issue.  So you would need to
> post:
>
> The character set of the prod db.
> The character set of the test db.
> The NLS values of the database.
> The NLS values of any other tier.
> The NLS values of any session involved, including the export/import.
> The exact (to all findable decimal places - what does sqlplus say when
> you start it?) of all parts of this, including database, operating
> system, and apps.  Could be a Gupta bug or missing synonym or
> something like that, too.
>
> I'm guessing you will find some difference there, could be as
> fundamental as the db character sets.  exp/imp (oh yeah, there are
> different tools with similar names, be sure and specify which you
> used) will oh-so-helpfully translate character values for you, as can
> NLS settings dynamically.  If you have middle tier startups for test
> and prod, look for differences in the environment.
>
> Aside from that, I doubt there would be init.ora differences to make
> this kind of effect.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "Cheech & Chong celebrity roast brought to you by Windows" - yeah, Up
> In Smoke for sure.

Eh... Pitty, but this issue was postponed with currently other more important tasks and by authorities saing "digging reasons, checking dbs? what for? view's will be just fine... do it and forget it". :( Still... It does not determine the REASON and I hope, I will return to this question some day later when there will be less work, because it's just too weird and too interesting just to leave it this way. :)

Thanks joel garry for the advice. I'll try to look in this when I can.

MVk - Monika V. kycka Received on Thu Dec 04 2008 - 13:52:55 CST

Original text of this message