Re: Performance: SDO_RELATE vs. Stored Procedure

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:12:07 +0100

schaef2k_at_googlemail.com schreef:

> On 19 Nov., 14:43, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> schae..._at_googlemail.com schreef:

>>> Unfortunately, it did not help. Still the runtime is round about 100
>>> seconds.
>>> Daniel
>> Did you run an explainplanfor yourquery? Did you create spatial indexes?
>>
>> Shakespeare
>
> First of all: Thanks for your effort! I appreciate it.
>
> The reason I did not use any index stuctures is, that I wanted to
> compare the performance of built-in functions with my own
> implementations. Therefore, I run the following  queries, which are
> executed similarly (see execution plans below):
>
> Q1: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM /*+ ordered */
> 	oracle_triangles t1, oracle_triangles t2
> 	WHERE SDO_GEOM.RELATE(t1.triangle, 'contains', t2.triangle, 0.001) <>
> 'FALSE'
> 	  AND t1.id <> t2.id
>
> Q2: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM /*+ ordered */
> 	my_triangles t1, my_triangles d2
> 	WHERE t1.contains(VALUE(t2)) = 1
> 	  AND t1.id <> t2.id;
>
> Execution Plan for Q1:
> Operation
> Object                  COST
> ------------------------------
> ------------------------------      ----------
> SELECT STATEMENT ()                                               2068
>  SORT (AGGREGATE)
>   NESTED LOOPS ()
> 2068
>    TABLE ACCESS (FULL)         oracle_triangles                 6
>    TABLE ACCESS (FULL)         oracle_triangles                 4
>
> Execution Plan for Q2:
> Operation
> Object                   COST
> ------------------------------
> ------------------------------      ----------
> SELECT STATEMENT ()                                               1801
>  SORT (AGGREGATE)
>   NESTED LOOPS ()
> 1801
>    TABLE ACCESS (FULL)         my_triangles                     5
>    TABLE ACCESS (FULL)         my_triangles                     4
>

> In PostgreSQL I do not use any indexes either, so the queries also
> involve a nested loops join using full table scans.
> Although the experimental settings equal for each query and each dbms,
> I still observe tremendous  performance
> differences that I just cannot explain.
>
> Daniel

That is because SDO_GEOM.RELATE is built to USE indexes.

It's like filling a car with the wrong fuel and wonder why it's so slow... Or wonder why you can push a bike a lot faster than a car.

I'm sure your algorithm can't calculate a relation between geometries with 62773 points... you'll find that SDO_GEOM.RELATE will hardly be any slower than with the triangles.
/*+ ordered */ without indexes makes no sense here....

By the way: using Oracle Spatial (even with Oracle XE) requires an extra license. Only Oracle Locator may be used for free with XE. This explicitly applies to SDO_GEOM functions and procedures, with the exception of

- SDO_GEOM.SDO_DISTANCE()
- SDO_GEOM.VALIDATE_GEOMETRY_WITH_CONTEXT()
- SDO_GEOM.VALIDATE_LAYER_WITH_CONTEXT().

 From the docs:

"
In general, Locator includes the data types, operators, and indexing capabilities of Oracle Spatial, along with a limited set of the functions and procedures of Spatial. The Locator features include the following:

An object type (SDO_GEOMETRY) that describes and supports any type of geometry
A spatial indexing capability that lets you create spatial indexes on geometry data
Spatial operators (described in Chapter 11) that use the spatial index for performing spatial queries
Some geometry functions and the SDO_AGGR_MBR spatial aggregate function Coordinate system support for explicit geometry and layer transformations (SDO_CS.TRANSFORM function and SDO_CS.TRANSFORM_LAYER procedure, described in Chapter 13)
Tuning functions and procedures (SDO_TUNE package, described in Chapter 19) Spatial utility functions (SDO_UTIL package, described in Chapter 20) Integration with Oracle Application Server 10g

Much confusion exists about what is licensed and what is not with Locator. What is actually licensed is clearly documented in Appendix B of the Spatial User guide. Because, this article concentrates on the SDO_GEOM package functions and procedures, we note that only those functions listed in Table B-1 are licensed. These are:

SDO_GEOM.SDO_DISTANCE()
SDO_GEOM.VALIDATE_GEOMETRY_WITH_CONTEXT()
SDO_GEOM.VALIDATE_LAYER_WITH_CONTEXT()

"

For the full story, see
http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/oracle_spatial_tips_tricks/55/oracle-locator-vs-enterprise-licensing-the-sdogeom-package

or

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14255/sdo_locator.htm#CFACCEEG

Shakespeare Received on Sun Nov 23 2008 - 10:12:07 CST

Original text of this message