Re: Migrating from Win2k3 to linux

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 07:53:16 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 23, 3:34 am, Jan Lühr <use..._at_stephan.homeunix.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to migrate an existing database. So far I've done a cold
> backup and copied all database and control files to the new host.
> However - some paths are messed up - of course, since Linux can't handle
> c:\.
> Do you know a(convienient, efficient ;-) way to identify and change
> messy paths of data files, log files, etc.?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Keep smiling
> yanosz

Given the same bitness and endianness of source and target there shouldn't be any issues with binary compatibility of that backup To rename the files, you need to record the file names in the source database by querying V$LOGFILE, V$DATAFILE and V$TEMPFILE and saving the results of these queries for reference; CREATE PFILE='c:\init.ora' FROM SPFILE at the source, copy that init.ora to the target, fix the paths to control file copies in it (as well as various xxx_dest destinations) and issue STARTUP MOUNT PFILE='/path/to/copied-and- edited/init.ora' at the target; and finally ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'c:\source\dir\filename.dbf' TO '/whatever/the/new/path/is/ filename.dbf' for each file name you recorded earlier. Then you can issue ALTER DATABASE OPEN to verify that all files were properly renamed and are accessible to Oracle. When you are sure Oracle is working as expected at its new home, you CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='/ path/to/copied-and-edited/init.ora' followed by SHUTDOWN and STARTUP.

Hth,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Sun Nov 23 2008 - 09:53:16 CST

Original text of this message