Re: DSN Less Connection To Oracle Database

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:07:22 +0200

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:36:41 GMT, Louis <t051315_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>- Do I really need an Oracle client installed on the web server
Depends on which interface you plan to use, and which capabilities you need.
The jdbc thin driver doesn't need a client. All other options, like the full jdbc driver, and odbc or ole or .net do. Which client (instant or full) would depend on Oracle version, which you can't be bothered to mention

>- Is "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" enough for ASP to talk to the Oracle
>database?

I would strongly recommend *against* using the Microsoft driver. It has numerous compatibility issues (ie sql which does work using the Oracle ODBC driver doesn't work using the Microsoft one), and Microsoft never ever implemented any Oracle feature beyond 7.3 If you only need to access Oracle I would go OLE or ODP Apart from that, the ODBC driver definitily needs the Oracle client, whether you use Microsofts driver or Oracles.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA