Re: allowing a user to kill his own connections

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 05:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

On May 5, 11:00 pm, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> m..._at_pixar.com wrote innews:NsKTj.1754$ah4.1745_at_flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:
>
> > I would like to allow developers to kill their own sessions, e.g.
>
> >     alter system kill session '$sid,$serial#'
>
> > but only for sessions which are theirs.
>
> > Is there a grant which can handle this?  If not, what's the
> > best way to handle this?
>
> You can write a procedure owned by SYS which can issue the ALTER SYSTEM;
> using owner's rights not invoker's rights.

I also agree with the stored procedure route; however, the owner does not need to be SYS and probably should not be SYS. I created a DBA privileged account to own special purpose routines like this. Using a non-SYS owner makes keeping track of the special purpose routines, database event triggers, and like easier.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue May 06 2008 - 07:33:49 CDT

Original text of this message