Re: Requesting Basic Info about Oracle ERP

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:38:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 8, 1:49 pm, TC <golemdan..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tomorrow, I have a job interview. The company is looking for someone
> who has experience with "Oracle ERP". I've never used Oracle ERP, but
> I have used SAP, and that was good enough to get me the interview. To
> prepare, I'd like to learn as much as I can about Oracle ERP.
> Unfortunately, I'm unable to find good information about it. Can
> anyone help me with some basic information?
[]

> As an aside, let me mention that I went to the Oracle website for this
> research and I found it practically useless. My impression is that
> they are focused on providing services, not products; there is very
> little information about products and applications, and a lot of
> emphasis on "solutions". That may be fine for corporate sales, but it
> gives me no sense of what I'm going to actually see when they fire up
> "Oracle ERP", and what I need to know in advance to talk about it
> intelligently.
>
> If anyone can offer advice, I'd be grateful.
>
> -TC

I would suggest you play to your strength. They know you do not know Oracle ERP so why bother worrying now about that? What things in your experience (SAP and ??) demonstrate the skills they are looking for? What steps did you take to learn SAP? How can you use those steps to learn what you need for this job? Those are the things that will make you stand apart. Review your current ORACLE skills. Recall specific examples of problems you have encountered and solved. How were those problems similar to what they are encountering?

If the company was not willing to give you training or some time at least to learn, then you would not have gotten the interview. trying to cram for the exam is often a poor way to prepare.

HTH, and good luck!

   Ed Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 13:38:30 CDT

Original text of this message