Re: Requesting Basic Info about Oracle ERP

From: TC <golemdanube_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 8, 11:14 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:26:57 -0700 (PDT), TC <golemdan..._at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Tomorrow, I have a job interview. The company is looking for someone
> >who has experience with "Oracle ERP". I've never used Oracle ERP, but
> >I have used SAP, and that was good enough to get me the interview. To
> >prepare, I'd like to learn as much as I can about Oracle ERP.
> >Unfortunately, I'm unable to find good information about it. Can
> >anyone help me with some basic information?
>
> >From my research so far, I believe that "Oracle ERP" is not a product
> >or even a suite of products, but simply a term used generally to refer
> >to various Oracle enterprise applications, like Oracle Financials and
> >Oracle Human Resources. Is that true?
>
> >I'm guessing that this company uses Oracle ERP software for some
> >combination of finance, HR, procurement, manufacturing, and sales. Are
> >there Oracle applications corresponding to all of those categories?
> >What are they named, and where can I go to experience the look and
> >feel of those applications?
>
> >As a database guy, what I really want to know is what the data model
> >looks like for the various parts of Oracle ERP. Also, what are the
> >reporting tools? How good are they, and how rigid?
>
> >As an aside, let me mention that I went to the Oracle website for this
> >research and I found it practically useless. My impression is that
> >they are focused on providing services, not products; there is very
> >little information about products and applications, and a lot of
> >emphasis on "solutions". That may be fine for corporate sales, but it
> >gives me no sense of what I'm going to actually see when they fire up
> >"Oracle ERP", and what I need to know in advance to talk about it
> >intelligently.
>
> >If anyone can offer advice, I'd be grateful.
>
> >-TC
>
> Oracle ERP is known as Oracle E-Business Suite.
> That said, I'm not sure whether you actually used the Oracle website
> for more than 2 seconds, looking at your offensive labeling it as
> 'practically useless'. Anyway, it is quite amazing you got the
> interview and hopefully will you be able to digest as much as possible
> from this link before tomorrow (you are not posting this especially
> timely)http://www.oracle.com/applications/home.html
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Mr. Bakker,

Thank you very much. Knowing that "Oracle ERP" is called "Oracle E-  Suite" was the one critical piece of information I was missing.

I'll stand by my assessment of the Oracle site, but I apologize if I offended you personally; and I regret that you felt the need to cast aspersions. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the tip; thank you.

-TC Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 13:49:06 CDT

Original text of this message