Re: Requesting Basic Info about Oracle ERP

From: TC <golemdanube_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 8, 11:38 am, Ed Prochak <edproc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 1:49 pm, TC <golemdan..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Tomorrow, I have a job interview. The company is looking for someone
> > who has experience with "Oracle ERP". I've never used Oracle ERP, but
> > I have used SAP, and that was good enough to get me the interview. To
> > prepare, I'd like to learn as much as I can about Oracle ERP.
> > Unfortunately, I'm unable to find good information about it. Can
> > anyone help me with some basic information?
> []
>
> > As an aside, let me mention that I went to the Oracle website for this
> > research and I found it practically useless. My impression is that
> > they are focused on providing services, not products; there is very
> > little information about products and applications, and a lot of
> > emphasis on "solutions". That may be fine for corporate sales, but it
> > gives me no sense of what I'm going to actually see when they fire up
> > "Oracle ERP", and what I need to know in advance to talk about it
> > intelligently.
>
> > If anyone can offer advice, I'd be grateful.
>
> > -TC
>
> I would suggest you play to your strength. They know you do not know
> Oracle ERP so why bother worrying now about that? What things in your
> experience (SAP and ??) demonstrate the skills they are looking for?
> What steps did you take to learn SAP? How can you use those steps to
> learn what you need for this job? Those are the things that will make
> you stand apart. Review your current ORACLE skills. Recall specific
> examples of problems you have encountered and solved. How were those
> problems similar to what they are encountering?
>
> If the company was not willing to give you training or some time at
> least to learn, then you would not have gotten the interview. trying
> to cram for the exam is often a poor way to prepare.
>
> HTH, and good luck!
> Ed

Mr. Prochak,

Thank you for the wonderful advice. Those are good and specific suggestions, and I'll certainly take them into account.

However, I may have given the wrong impression in my original post. I'm not cramming for the interview. I'm already well prepared. I'm just spending a little time now to round off the rough edges. In this case, that means learning a little of the basics about Oracle ERP.

Except for the Oracle experience, I'm actually a great fit for the job, so I expect everything to go well tomorrow. But just in case, it helps to have your good wishes. Thanks!

-TC Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 14:01:30 CDT

Original text of this message