Re: The application requires more database privileges than you have currently been granted.

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 05:42:31 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 7, 7:24 am, Gustaf <gust..._at_algonet.se> wrote:
> Shakespeare wrote:
> >> The Oracle version is 10.2.0.1. I don't know what 'application' means
> >> here. Is it yet another name for 'user', 'account' and 'schema'? So far,
> >> I'm doing everything in Enterprise Manager.
> > Do I understand correctly that what you actually are saying is that the
> > newly created users cannot login to ENTERPRISE MANAGER?
>
> That's right. And now I understand that Enterprise Manager (EM) is the 'application', and if I attempt to access the DB from SQL Plus, other rules apply. I'm trying to figure out what the minimum privileges are to log in with EM, but I begin to see how pointless it is. EM is not the way the average user connect anyway, is it?

No, it's not designed for the 'average user' to do much, if anything, with. It's designed as an administrative tool, for DBAs to use. Which should provide a clue as to which permissions are necessary for a user to utilize Enterprise Manager.

> What I really want is to create a user with full control over a schema. Adding and removing tables, and importing data into those tables. I wish there was a SCHEMA_ADMIN role, but I can't find anything like it. And it's hard to figure out exactly which of the hundreds of privileges I need to put together such a role.

Then you grant CREATE TABLE, CREATE VIEW, CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE TRIGGER and possibly CREATE PROCEDURE to this user account. You then have the privileges to have 'full' control over a schema for this user. Or you create your SCHEMA_ADMIN role and grant the above listed privileges to it, then grant that role to each new user you create.

> Gustaf

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Mar 07 2008 - 07:42:31 CST

Original text of this message