Re: Connecting to Oracle via MS ODBC driver error

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:30:06 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 5, 2:21 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2:01 pm, roadwarrior <john.fi..._at_science.doe.gov> wrote:
>
> > Trying to connect to Oracle using Oracle 9.2 client - a VB6 app
> > from windows 2003 server using microsoft odbc for oracle drivers....
> > (the app works un win95, win nt, win200)
>
> > getting a microsoft driver error. - using msorcl32.dll .....2007
>
> > any information on this would be greatly appreciated ....
>
> > DSNs and the communication layer all work ...Since SQL plus works
>
> > Thanks
>
> I had problems with the Microsoft ODBC driver when we switched from
> Oracle 8.0.5 to Oracle 8.1.7.3... several years ago.  Use the Oracle
> ODBC or OLEDB driver instead (might need to perform a custom install
> of the client, at least that is the case with the Oracle 10.2.0.1
> client).  The OLEDB driver seems to retrieve data faster than the
> Oracle ODBC driver.
>
> Charles Hooper
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

Is the Windows system 32 or 64 bit?
What full version is the target Oracle version?

Have you checked your ODBC and OLE drivers againt MS list of currently available drivers?

How To Acquire and Install the Microsoft Oracle ODBC Driver http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175018

List of ODBC drivers installed by Access, Office, and MDAC http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208689

Installation of the Oracle ODBC and OLE drivers as mentioned by Charles does require a custom install of the client. After running the runtime install just run a custom install and look under the Windows feature.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 12:30:06 CST

Original text of this message