Re: Oracle hexadecimal query

From: Urs Metzger <urs_at_ursmetzger.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:10:57 +0100

nivS1978_at_gmail.com schrieb:
> A quick and simple question.
>
> If I have a query like:
> SELECT * FROM table NUM = 31
>
> Now for reasons irelevant to my question the number provided is
> hexadecimal. I could ofcourse in the program convert this to a number
> but is there a syntax in oracle to use similar to the sql server:
> SELECT * FROM table NUM = 0x1F
>
> How do I write this in oracle?
>
> I know I can do a to_num('1F','XX') or something like that but is
> there a way to just write a hexadecimal number directly?
>
> Regards Hans Milling...

Hans,

there is no way to express a number in hexadecimal format directly. This has not changed between at least 8.1.7 and 11.1. Search the SQL Language Reference provided on tahiti.oracle.com for "Literals".

Of course there is no need to convert the table data to hexadecimal, but you do have to convert the hexadecimal representation '1F' to the type in your table.

HtH,
Urs Metzger Received on Thu Mar 06 2008 - 13:10:57 CST

Original text of this message