Re: CLOB

From: William Robertson <williamr2019_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 01:28:05 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 2, 1:24 am, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted some things eariler to get some opinions on using CLOBS. We
> have never done that here. I've been looking for a couple of hours
> for some decent examples on how to insert, update and select data from
> a CLOB column.
>
> I also want to find some examples of using CLOB columns in PLSQL, so I
> can see how to use the variable.
>
> I see a lot of references to DBMS_LOB. Do I have to use that any time
> I want to work with the CLOB?
>
> I created a table with a CLOB column, put 10000 characters into that
> column, but no matter what, could not get the 10000 back out....
>
> I've seen a lot of pages, but I have not found any that give any real
> good examples.
>
> Does anyone have any URL's I can look at?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Works for me:

CREATE TABLE testclob (bigcol CLOB);

INSERT INTO testclob VALUES (RPAD('v',4100,'ast quantities of text v'));

SELECT * FROM testclob;

SQL*Plus will truncate the display according to SET LONG, which defaults to 80:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b31189/ch12040.htm Maybe this is what you're running into when you say you can't get 1000 characters back.

See CREATE TABLE in the SQL Reference for additional storage syntax for CLOB columns, with examples. Also have a look at the Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14249/toc.htm

What you can and can't do with them will depend on your database version. Received on Sun Mar 02 2008 - 03:28:05 CST

Original text of this message