Re: Syntax of export command

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:31:11 -0700

On Oct 8, 4:00 pm, "dn.p..._at_gmail.com" <dn.p..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking at a script which has the following syntax for exp
> utility :
> exp "/ as sysdba" owner=$SCHEMA log=$LOGFILE file=$DMPFILE
> consistent=y direct=y statistics=none
>
> I am told this script runs when $LOGNAME="oracle" on a linux server.
> To the best of my knowledge, the syntax is :
> exp "username/password as sysdba" owner=$SCHEMA, etc etc. And I don't
> know how the command runs without being supplied username and
> password.
>
> I am trying to export it to Windows.
> If I use : exp "/ as sysdba" owner=$SCHEMA etc etc, I get an error.
> If I use : exp " as sysdba" owner=$SCHEMA etc etc, I am prompted for
> username and password.
>
> So can the export utility be run on unix/linux without supplying
> username and password to it when a) logged in as 'oracle' and b) when
> logged in something else.
> And can export utility be run on Windows without supplying username
> and password?

Note that sysdba is a special user and consistent=Y conflicts with that. See metalink Note:277237.1 for the explanation. To me, an obvious conflict is a red flag. There are some times when you do want to use sysdba with export, but generally you don't, and it varies by version. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It's doubly worrisome since you appear to be saying you are looking at an existing script.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I got a rocket in my pocket!" - Devo