Re: what's a "reasonable" length of time to keep a cursor open?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:59:04 -0500

mh_at_pixar.com wrote:
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> And your Oracle version is?
>>
>> Load the records into a global temporary table if they are
>> available in your version.

> 10g, So that's definitely something I'll look at.
>
>> But I've got a problem with any process that takes several days to
>> complete. It might be worth investing your efforts into tuning the
>> offending process.

> I don't think I explained my program very well... It is basically
> an image processing work dispatcher that runs continuously.

<snip>

Knowing this, I would highly recommend looking into Oracle's Advanced Queueing.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14257/toc.htm

It sounds like what you are trying to build is already present in the Oracle database. Rather than reinvent the wheel, try to leverage the tool you paid for.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net