Re: what's a "reasonable" length of time to keep a cursor open?

From: <mh_at_pixar.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:12:05 GMT

Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> It sounds like what you are trying to build is already present in the
> Oracle database. Rather than reinvent the wheel, try to leverage the
> tool you paid for.

I did look at the AQS, but I was scared away by (1) the size of the package -- it seemed like rather a big hammer for my little problem, and (2) this project is in Python on Mac and Linux, and I couldn't find anybody on this planet that had any experience with this combination. So, I was reluctant to bite off all those unknowns in my state of newbie ignorance.

The good news is that my little system works well (I'm processing peak loads at a rate of about a million images per day), but I'm unsure if my two-minute cursor timeout is too conservative.

But I am interested in further exploring the AQS for some other projects, so it's good to get your feedback.

Thanks!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison